The Take on Wall Street campaign came together to build a financial system for white, black, and brown working families, not big Wall Street banks. In the spring of 2016, over 50 groups decided to work together to envision a better financial system, train activists, cultivate champions, and fight for policy change to address the predatory economic power of big Wall Street banks and billionaires, and build a financial system for all of us. Take on Wall Street is a project of Americans for Financial Reform Education Fund (AFREF). AFREF played a leading role in winning passage of the Dodd Frank Financial Reform law and the creation of the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau, and we are driving the fight for broader transformations of the financial system to advance economic, racial, and social justice. AFREF’s staff develops plans and strategies in collaboration with a coalition of more than 200 consumer, civil rights, labor, community based, and other organizations, along with academics and policy experts, together to advance this fundamentally important work in the economic and racial justice agenda.
AFREF and TOWS are growing in new and exciting ways and we are adding several employee positions. We are building a team that is diverse, does awesome work, makes a huge impact, and works together to move forward a fundamentally important set of levers for racial and economic justice.
The Take on Wall Street Advocacy & Political Manager will lead and mobilize new and existing coalition members to advance Take on Wall Street’s priorities, especially overhauling corporate governance policy to incentivize corporate decision–making aligned with the interests of workers, communities, and the planet; calling out oil and gas interests and allied lawmakers for trying to undermine progress on climate and social justice; and other transformative policies. We pursue our entire policy agenda with the lens that white supremacy built Wall Street, and to dismantle this rigged system, we must pursue bold reforms to fix the democratic process.
- In consultation with the Take on Wall Street director, develop and implement advocacy campaigns to advance our agenda to take on Wall Street’s power and build a better financial system.
- Lead and mobilize new and existing coalition members to advance Take on Wall Street’s priorities in public debates, the media, and policymaking.
- Collaborate with other AFREF staff on opportunities to advance our narrative on Wall Street power in the popular debate.
- Scope, design, and implement a political program for Take on Wall Street that supports the education of future elected champions of our issues, as part of work for our 501(c)(4) partner Americans for Financial Reform.
- Maintain and build relationships with national, state and local partners on grassroots and grasstops outreach, mobilization, and advocacy strategies.
- Increase the visibility and stature of Take on Wall Street among policymakers and other external stakeholders, including ramping up social media presence, managing the email action list, and hosting events.
- Work with director and AFR’s digital lead to elevate the issues we work on through Take on Wall Street’s social media presence, maintain website, and manage email action list.
- Work with coalition partners to develop, maintain and share campaign materials and resources necessary to succeed in our collective advocacy.
The ideal candidate will be a highly motivated strategist and campaigner who makes things happen, with a passion for economic, racial, and gender justice and a demonstrated ability to work well with a diverse team of colleagues and allies. Other strongly preferred experience and qualities include:
- Minimum of 6–8 years organizing, political, or advocacy experience, ideally in coalition
- Keen political sense, and past experience in electoral politics
- The ability to manage multiple projects and navigate complex policies or relationships with attention to detail.
- Experience working with diverse communities, particularly communities of color
- Strong writing and communication skills, including the ability to distill complex topics into accessible and compelling formats
- Social media and/or website maintenance experience
- Experience in group facilitation and/or training
- Commitment to social, economic, and gender justice
Annual salary range: $80,000 – $90,000 commensurate with experience. Generous benefits, including medical, dental, vision, and 401K. We invest in growth opportunities for our employees both within a position and within the organization.
How to apply:
Please submit your application via our candidate portal linked here. This position is Full–time; Washington, D.C. preferred but remote candidates encouraged to apply. AFREF is committed to a workplace that reflects the diversity of America defined broadly and where the talent, skills and uniqueness of each staff member are respected. We are committed to a policy of equity for all employees and to equal opportunity for all applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, sex, age, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, family responsibilities, and disability.