WHAT IS FINANCIALIZATION?
- Finance is the management of money. “Financialization” refers to the increasing power of finance over the economy.
- The financial industry’s share of the overall economy has tripled since World War II. The financial sector — Wall Street — finds a way to extract profit from every facet of our lives, our housing, our health, our education, and even our water.
- Letting finance write the rules and dominate the economy harms the rest of us. Rather than channeling investments to projects that support jobs, families and communities, Wall Street executives and money managers are buying our elected leaders and rigging the rules in their favor in order to extract wealth from communities.
- Wealth extraction in a financialized economy is not color blind. Wall Street targets communities of color, and especially women of color, for everything from predatory loans to higher rents to mass incarceration.
- Financial executives often take a short-term “take the money and run” approach, which leads to booms and busts and makes our entire economy more unstable.
4 hours ago .@CWAUnion workers like Joe Olson with AT&T are seeing companies lay people off, outsource & manipulate stock price… https://t.co/f1mpDUCOOh
4 hours ago .@SenatorBaldwin announces a plan today to end stock buybacks and put workers on boards! Tune in at 2:30 ET to watc… https://t.co/Ue0wZTwq4B
4 hours ago 🕵️♀️🕵️♀️Senate GOP won’t allow a public hearing on stock buybacks...so @SenatorBaldwin & @SenStabenow are throwin… https://t.co/Hu73NwtmDp
16 hours ago What happens when Wall Street gets paid first? Executives buy back their own stock to get rich, and companies, work… https://t.co/dYwHvHqYeN
17 hours ago Stay tuned tomorrow for a bold new solution to this corporate boondoggle, which was illegal as recently as the '80s… https://t.co/ByCSz73E9T