WHAT IS FINANCIALIZATION?
- Finance is the management of money. “Financialization” refers to the increasing power of finance over the economy.
- The financial industry’s share of the overall economy has tripled since World War II. The financial sector — Wall Street — finds a way to extract profit from every facet of our lives, our housing, our health, our education, and even our water.
- Letting finance write the rules and dominate the economy harms the rest of us. Rather than channeling investments to projects that support jobs, families and communities, Wall Street executives and money managers are buying our elected leaders and rigging the rules in their favor in order to extract wealth from communities.
- Wealth extraction in a financialized economy is not color blind. Wall Street targets communities of color, and especially women of color, for everything from predatory loans to higher rents to mass incarceration.
- Financial executives often take a short-term “take the money and run” approach, which leads to booms and busts and makes our entire economy more unstable.
19 hours ago RT @IPS_DC: "A #WealthTax is really important... But it’s like putting more water in the bucket when there’s all these holes in it. We nee…
20 hours ago RT @PatrioticMills: .@abigaildisney is right! Taxation is not a punishment. Taxation is a moral responsibility. It’s time OUT for obvious…
2 days ago We all know the rich get their way because they pay politicians to do their bidding. The #ForthePeopleAct would add… https://t.co/BthNKSpNbQ
2 days ago RT @PaidLeaveforAll: "This is an opportunity to support small businesses...It’s win/win, and so no wonder 70% of small business owners supp…
2 days ago RT @MoveOn: Workers shouldn't face intimidation and retaliation for organizing for better work conditions. It's time to #PassThePROAct http…