WHAT IS FINANCIALIZATION?
- Finance is the management of money. “Financialization” refers to the increasing power of finance over the economy.
- The financial industry’s share of the overall economy has tripled since World War II. The financial sector — Wall Street — finds a way to extract profit from every facet of our lives, our housing, our health, our education, and even our water.
- Letting finance write the rules and dominate the economy harms the rest of us. Rather than channeling investments to projects that support jobs, families and communities, Wall Street executives and money managers are buying our elected leaders and rigging the rules in their favor in order to extract wealth from communities.
- Wealth extraction in a financialized economy is not color blind. Wall Street targets communities of color, and especially women of color, for everything from predatory loans to higher rents to mass incarceration.
- Financial executives often take a short-term “take the money and run” approach, which leads to booms and busts and makes our entire economy more unstable.
4 hours ago RT @RepRashida: Preventing cryptocurrency providers from repeating the crimes against low- and moderate-income residents of color tradition…
4 hours ago RT @RepChuyGarcia: Proud to introduce the STABLE Act with @RepRashida & @RepStephenLynch to ensure that new financial tools like stablecoin…
1 day ago RT @Public_Citizen: So free college is bad, but billionaire freeloading is fine? https://t.co/585mDaXCq2
4 days ago RT @TylerGellasch: Brian Deese may be a very good NEC Director. He’s really smart and works hard. But when he was in the Obama admin, he…
4 days ago RT @ACREcampaigns: “Executives like Deese are responsible for financing devastation while profiteering from BIPOC communities. There are hi…