WHAT IS FINANCIALIZATION?
- Finance is the management of money. “Financialization” refers to the increasing power of finance over the economy.
- The financial industry’s share of the overall economy has tripled since World War II. The financial sector — Wall Street — finds a way to extract profit from every facet of our lives, our housing, our health, our education, and even our water.
- Letting finance write the rules and dominate the economy harms the rest of us. Rather than channeling investments to projects that support jobs, families and communities, Wall Street executives and money managers are buying our elected leaders and rigging the rules in their favor in order to extract wealth from communities.
- Wealth extraction in a financialized economy is not color blind. Wall Street targets communities of color, and especially women of color, for everything from predatory loans to higher rents to mass incarceration.
- Financial executives often take a short-term “take the money and run” approach, which leads to booms and busts and makes our entire economy more unstable.
1 day ago RT @RaulACarrillo: 👀 That would be Morrison, Toni. 🔥🔥🔥 #JobGuarantee. https://t.co/yYuYQuh36h
3 days ago RT @ACREcampaigns: 📆 Join us Tues 7/7 for an ACRE + @twittlesis webinar! We will review Police Brutality Bonds & help you learn how to rese…
3 days ago RT @MehrsaBaradaran: In which I write about a legal form of looting and the ideological coup that justified it. @nytopinion https://t.co/L…
3 days ago RT @steelewheelz: *Banks* want the government to just give people grants? Sounds good to me. If only we had a way to do that without rout…
3 days ago RT @steelewheelz: Pretty frank acknowledgement here that banks are not able to be a reliable conduit for implementing financial aid policy,…