WHAT IS FINANCIALIZATION?
- Finance is the management of money. “Financialization” refers to the increasing power of finance over the economy.
- The financial industry’s share of the overall economy has tripled since World War II. The financial sector — Wall Street — finds a way to extract profit from every facet of our lives, our housing, our health, our education, and even our water.
- Letting finance write the rules and dominate the economy harms the rest of us. Rather than channeling investments to projects that support jobs, families and communities, Wall Street executives and money managers are buying our elected leaders and rigging the rules in their favor in order to extract wealth from communities.
- Wealth extraction in a financialized economy is not color blind. Wall Street targets communities of color, and especially women of color, for everything from predatory loans to higher rents to mass incarceration.
- Financial executives often take a short-term “take the money and run” approach, which leads to booms and busts and makes our entire economy more unstable.
1 hour ago We’re in! https://t.co/HTtv6VcYya
3 hours ago RT @forrespect: We can build a world where everyone has a good job, clean air, freshwater, and can thrive no matter the color of their skin…
2 days ago RT @PatrioticMills: In seven years, the audit rate for millionaires went DOWN 81% Audit Rate for millionaires: ⬛️ ⬛️…
3 days ago RT @4TaxFairness: It’s almost like deficits spike when you’re taking in less revenue from, say, the richest among us and huge corporations?…
3 days ago Bwahahaha this headline. (reminder: Blankfein was chairman of Goldman Sachs during financial crisis, Mnuchin forecl… https://t.co/8j4ttsd7FK