WHAT IS FINANCIALIZATION?
- Finance is the management of money. “Financialization” refers to the increasing power of finance over the economy.
- The financial industry’s share of the overall economy has tripled since World War II. The financial sector — Wall Street — finds a way to extract profit from every facet of our lives, our housing, our health, our education, and even our water.
- Letting finance write the rules and dominate the economy harms the rest of us. Rather than channeling investments to projects that support jobs, families and communities, Wall Street executives and money managers are buying our elected leaders and rigging the rules in their favor in order to extract wealth from communities.
- Wealth extraction in a financialized economy is not color blind. Wall Street targets communities of color, and especially women of color, for everything from predatory loans to higher rents to mass incarceration.
- Financial executives often take a short-term “take the money and run” approach, which leads to booms and busts and makes our entire economy more unstable.
29 mins ago Y’all come! https://t.co/An63nyf96N
11 hours ago RT @sfchronicle: Tenisha Tate-Austin and Paul Austin say they were low-balled when trying to refinance their home — until they “white-washe…
2 days ago RT @4TaxFairness: Corporations don't want to pay their fair share to help us Build Back Better, even though they're paying historic low tax…
2 days ago RT @WorkingFamilies: If Mitch McConnell can gut the filibuster for his extremist Supreme Court nominations, Democrats can end the filibuste…
2 days ago RT @PramilaJayapal: More than two-thirds of Americans think that billionaires should pay more in taxes. I’m with them — let’s tax the rich…