WHAT IS FINANCIALIZATION?
- Finance is the management of money. “Financialization” refers to the increasing power of finance over the economy.
- The financial industry’s share of the overall economy has tripled since World War II. The financial sector — Wall Street — finds a way to extract profit from every facet of our lives, our housing, our health, our education, and even our water.
- Letting finance write the rules and dominate the economy harms the rest of us. Rather than channeling investments to projects that support jobs, families and communities, Wall Street executives and money managers are buying our elected leaders and rigging the rules in their favor in order to extract wealth from communities.
- Wealth extraction in a financialized economy is not color blind. Wall Street targets communities of color, and especially women of color, for everything from predatory loans to higher rents to mass incarceration.
- Financial executives often take a short-term “take the money and run” approach, which leads to booms and busts and makes our entire economy more unstable.
3 hours ago RT @williamjpl1: My latest opinion piece for @TakeOnWallSt! “What seems to be a typical path for homeownership is, in reality, the sym…
3 hours ago RT @RealBankReform: "Reproductive freedom is an element of economic justice, and the restrictions and bans that are not long in coming will…
23 hours ago On Friday, July 1st from 11a-12p EDT, Join @RealBankReform as we dive into a tantalizing discussion about the dark… https://t.co/oW8DUn0p4h
4 days ago #Cryptocurrency is not the answer to closing the racial wealth gap. Its future is now in serious doubt as major pla… https://t.co/UiThgyEKVg
4 days ago RT @RealBankReform: @RealBankReform is dedicated to creating a more equitable and sustainable economy, but cryptocurrencies are not the pan…