WHAT IS FINANCIALIZATION?
- Finance is the management of money. “Financialization” refers to the increasing power of finance over the economy.
- The financial industry’s share of the overall economy has tripled since World War II. The financial sector — Wall Street — finds a way to extract profit from every facet of our lives, our housing, our health, our education, and even our water.
- Letting finance write the rules and dominate the economy harms the rest of us. Rather than channeling investments to projects that support jobs, families and communities, Wall Street executives and money managers are buying our elected leaders and rigging the rules in their favor in order to extract wealth from communities.
- Wealth extraction in a financialized economy is not color blind. Wall Street targets communities of color, and especially women of color, for everything from predatory loans to higher rents to mass incarceration.
- Financial executives often take a short-term “take the money and run” approach, which leads to booms and busts and makes our entire economy more unstable.
2 days ago RT @dmartkc: As Trump's banking regulators look for ways to roll back protections enshrined after the last crisis: "Many Americans say thei…
3 days ago RT @TheAtlantic: "The higher the proportion of African Americans in a state, the more likely officials are to try to change the way poor fa…
3 days ago RT @thehill: Second GOP lawmaker reaches out to Ocasio-Cortez on legislation, hours after Ted Cruz proposal https://t.co/plvgmmncVl https:/…
4 days ago RT @business: Women suing Goldman for discrimination asked a judge to stop the bank from forcing more than 1,000 of them into arbitration h…
5 days ago Black, White, and Brown communities deserve better than a tax code that rewards greed and manipulation, and that is… https://t.co/wgP1r9pAB6