WHAT IS FINANCIALIZATION?
- Finance is the management of money. “Financialization” refers to the increasing power of finance over the economy.
- The financial industry’s share of the overall economy has tripled since World War II. The financial sector — Wall Street — finds a way to extract profit from every facet of our lives, our housing, our health, our education, and even our water.
- Letting finance write the rules and dominate the economy harms the rest of us. Rather than channeling investments to projects that support jobs, families and communities, Wall Street executives and money managers are buying our elected leaders and rigging the rules in their favor in order to extract wealth from communities.
- Wealth extraction in a financialized economy is not color blind. Wall Street targets communities of color, and especially women of color, for everything from predatory loans to higher rents to mass incarceration.
- Financial executives often take a short-term “take the money and run” approach, which leads to booms and busts and makes our entire economy more unstable.
13 hours ago RT @Public_Citizen: A quick reminder that our entire political economy is controlled be a infinitesimally small set of wealthy, disproporti…
14 hours ago 𝘘𝘶𝘪𝘥, meet 𝘱𝘳𝘰 𝘲𝘶𝘰. #pirateequity #HR1 https://t.co/C6T551hBNE
2 days ago “Have we finally reached the point where we automatically assume that every new retail disaster has been caused by… https://t.co/xulXvJbzkk
2 days ago If you missed Friday's Public Options for Banking event, you can still watch it HERE: https://t.co/J1WKvQHvo8… https://t.co/o76sImKnTF
3 days ago RT @PublicBankNYC: If you're not in D.C. for @RealBankReform's "Public Options for Banking" event in person, you're still in luck! Watch l…