WHAT IS FINANCIALIZATION?
- Finance is the management of money. “Financialization” refers to the increasing power of finance over the economy.
- The financial industry’s share of the overall economy has tripled since World War II. The financial sector — Wall Street — finds a way to extract profit from every facet of our lives, our housing, our health, our education, and even our water.
- Letting finance write the rules and dominate the economy harms the rest of us. Rather than channeling investments to projects that support jobs, families and communities, Wall Street executives and money managers are buying our elected leaders and rigging the rules in their favor in order to extract wealth from communities.
- Wealth extraction in a financialized economy is not color blind. Wall Street targets communities of color, and especially women of color, for everything from predatory loans to higher rents to mass incarceration.
- Financial executives often take a short-term “take the money and run” approach, which leads to booms and busts and makes our entire economy more unstable.
2 days ago RT @RealBankReform: Yet another @WellsFargo $WFC scandal. This time they were caught copy-pasting signatures onto documents for their busin…
2 days ago RT @BrookingsInst: "We were the first campaign in Georgia history to run Spanish-language television ads," says @staceyabrams on her outrea…
2 days ago .@staceyabrams makes the connection between everything we care about and #VotingRights. Including kicking Wall Stre… https://t.co/6H0i9K7OwV
2 days ago Deregulation = megabanks on steroids https://t.co/N6Jx44z4U4
3 days ago RT @JordanUhl: Millions of people lost their homes because of the greed from you and your buddies. Maybe sit this one out, champ. https://t…