WHAT IS FINANCIALIZATION?
- Finance is the management of money. “Financialization” refers to the increasing power of finance over the economy.
- The financial industry’s share of the overall economy has tripled since World War II. The financial sector — Wall Street — finds a way to extract profit from every facet of our lives, our housing, our health, our education, and even our water.
- Letting finance write the rules and dominate the economy harms the rest of us. Rather than channeling investments to projects that support jobs, families and communities, Wall Street executives and money managers are buying our elected leaders and rigging the rules in their favor in order to extract wealth from communities.
- Wealth extraction in a financialized economy is not color blind. Wall Street targets communities of color, and especially women of color, for everything from predatory loans to higher rents to mass incarceration.
- Financial executives often take a short-term “take the money and run” approach, which leads to booms and busts and makes our entire economy more unstable.
4 hours ago RT @Teamsters: Did you know the average CEO in 1970 made 20 to 30 times more than their average employees, but today that number has balloo…
4 hours ago RT @SarahDAnderson1: Today @SenSanders @RepBarbaraLee & @RepRashida introduced the Tax Excessive CEO Pay Act to curb the extreme gaps betwe…
4 hours ago The pay gap between corporate executives and workers shows us the company’s priorities. We support the Tax Excessiv… https://t.co/FFTw6gtEhM
4 hours ago RT @NETWORKLobby: The Tax Excessive CEO Pay Act would generate over $150 billion over the next 10 years, which could fund almost 2 million…
4 hours ago Thank you @janschakowsky @RepJayapal @RepRaulGrijalva for cosponsoring the Tax Excessive CEO Pay Act! It’s time fo… https://t.co/j4HMBbn4NJ