WHAT IS FINANCIALIZATION?
- Finance is the management of money. “Financialization” refers to the increasing power of finance over the economy.
- The financial industry’s share of the overall economy has tripled since World War II. The financial sector — Wall Street — finds a way to extract profit from every facet of our lives, our housing, our health, our education, and even our water.
- Letting finance write the rules and dominate the economy harms the rest of us. Rather than channeling investments to projects that support jobs, families and communities, Wall Street executives and money managers are buying our elected leaders and rigging the rules in their favor in order to extract wealth from communities.
- Wealth extraction in a financialized economy is not color blind. Wall Street targets communities of color, and especially women of color, for everything from predatory loans to higher rents to mass incarceration.
- Financial executives often take a short-term “take the money and run” approach, which leads to booms and busts and makes our entire economy more unstable.
5 hours ago RT @4TaxFairness: 🚨ACTION ALERT 🚨 WHEN: Wednesday, Dec. 11 @ 2pm EST WHERE: #GOPTaxScam & #2YearsOfTCJA WHY: It’s been 2 years since @re…
19 mins ago RT @RealBankReform: Since August 19, the Payday Debt Trap Crisis has now surpassed $2 Billion. Read more about the issue here: https://t.co…
4 hours ago RT @RealBankReform: In The News: How to Buy a Regulation in Six Short Months (The American Prospect) https://t.co/sdiBqmnNsR
4 hours ago RT @PatrioticMills: Our system is designed to allow Amazon to flourish: 🚨Amazon abuses workers, because it can 🚨Amazon abuses the tax code,…
5 hours ago https://t.co/LE3qcev3sV