WHAT IS FINANCIALIZATION?
- Finance is the management of money. “Financialization” refers to the increasing power of finance over the economy.
- The financial industry’s share of the overall economy has tripled since World War II. The financial sector — Wall Street — finds a way to extract profit from every facet of our lives, our housing, our health, our education, and even our water.
- Letting finance write the rules and dominate the economy harms the rest of us. Rather than channeling investments to projects that support jobs, families and communities, Wall Street executives and money managers are buying our elected leaders and rigging the rules in their favor in order to extract wealth from communities.
- Wealth extraction in a financialized economy is not color blind. Wall Street targets communities of color, and especially women of color, for everything from predatory loans to higher rents to mass incarceration.
- Financial executives often take a short-term “take the money and run” approach, which leads to booms and busts and makes our entire economy more unstable.
21 hours ago Starting in a few minutes! CLICK TO WATCH: https://t.co/1vQhXHoF9r @RealBankReform @strongforall @popdemoc… https://t.co/6CRAmuyMxX
21 hours ago RT @WorkingFamilies: If we can afford to spend $700,000,000,000 on defense spending yearly, we can afford to spend $3.5 trillion on working…
23 hours ago Today! Learn about one of Wall Street's most egregious tax loopholes and why we must close it with a panel of exp… https://t.co/BfxqBeFPMc
2 days ago You know who'll be fine if we don't pass the $3.5 tril reconciliation bill? Greedy executives. You know who won't… https://t.co/UNojp1Lz3Q
2 days ago You probably pay a higher tax rate than many billionaires do. If you paid a penny in federal income taxes in 2007… https://t.co/hKvaivsq8b